PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - lies, damn lies and autogyro accident rates?
Old 26th May 2017, 10:17
SandL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I fly a single seat gyro in the UK PPL(G) I have a lapsed PPL(A) and used to teach gliding
the PPL(G) training focused many hours on rotor management.. the pilot looked at the blades and by look and feel performed a take off. this has now been deskilled by a ststematic procedual take off technique eg still still and pre rotate, when rotor RPM reaches XX then go full throttle and full stick back. and a take off will work. if you do not do exactly that then the take off will fail, often with bad results. the trainee pilot is being de-skilled.
autorotating rotor blades can produce a huge amount of drag, they can operate like a huge brake parachute, upon climb out or overshoot it's very, very easy to get the wrong side of the drag curve, it can be like deploying a brake parachute. some accident reports say gyro would not climb or engine was not producing enough power. if fact the pilots and investigators may not recognise that the gyro was behind the drag curve, (or power required curve if that is easier to understand).
gyros and guns are safe it all comes down to the training and operation in my opinion.