PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Military Hours into Civvie World
View Single Post
Old 25th May 2017, 04:51
GipsyMagpie

Originally Posted by whirly_bird_boy
Thanks Ken, but I'm not sure it is. The point I'm making is that although I wear RAF uniform while the flying the Tutor, surely I can put it in a civie logbook since it's a civilian registered aircraft? To my knowledge, it's the only example of this setup in the RAF. Thanks
Not the only example actually - occasional use of civil registered aircraft at Boscombe too.

Of note, flying civil registered aircraft in the military is covered in regulations but not the one you might think. The military regulations do not apply to this type of flying but rather it's all regulated by the UK Air Navigation Order. There is an allowance in the (Article 249?) that military pilots may fly civil registered aircraft in the course of their duties without a civil licence - clearly the military will need you to have the right qual though. The MAA helpfully will soon push out a regulation which highlights which MRP rules then apply to that pilot (which includes pilot quals, medicals, instrument ratings,instructor quals). What the list did not include was RA2401 which has the rules for recording of flight times.

So if you kept up with that regulatory knot, you will realise that when a military pilot flies a civil aircraft he should record his flying time in accordance with civil rules not the military ones. Other issues include carriage of passengers, rules of the air, applicability of MATZ.

So if you are a Tutor pilot, do you really know what rules you're flying to? But at least you can justify recording chock to chock in your logbook (the civil one - Beags had good advice there)