PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sully's Flare on the Hudson: Airbus Phugoid Feedback
Old 24th May 2017, 18:41
vilas

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
and details many good reasons why the APU was started

CONF iture
Thanks for the video but what I wrote as you know is NTSB's opinion. He is apparently talking to non professionals. You decide who knows better. Actually I don't hear him give any valid reason for starting the APU. In this particular accident as it turned out since it was three minutes flight turning on APU didn't matter at all. Because the left engine provided electrics and hydraulics till they shut it down for relight. Auto relight must have come on for the right engine and failed and there was not much time to attempt starter assisted start. Also, although there are not many takers for your theory, according to you remaining in normal law (because of the APU) actually spoiled the party by preventing proper flare (actually stall if you ask me). But on another day in similar situation APU would matter. Because without G+Y and in ELEC EMER you won't get flaps and force landing with that slat only high attitude without thrust is not happy situation. With APU on in normal electrics you can switch on yellow electric pump and get flaps to three which would reduce landing distance and thereby chances of survival considerably.

Last edited by vilas; 24th May 2017 at 19:01.