PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Getting back into it after a long break -what do I need?
Old 24th May 2017, 01:41
Viper172

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Getting back into it after a long break -what do I need?

Hi PPRuNers,

I'm a low-time PPL (approx 500 hrs) with CSU, retract, pressurization, night VFR and formation endorsements, who stopped flying about 25 years ago. I had a bad year where I lost 9 friends in separate aircraft accidents, at about the same time my first child was born. I decided I wanted to spend more time with my new family as they were growing up so pulled the plug.
My two boys are adults now, and I'd like to return to the skies.

Obviously I need to get my medical and do check-flights, but does anyone else know what else I'll need to do to get my currency back?

Someone said that I'll need to do all of my PPL theory subjects again.
Others told me that all I need is a thorough briefing on things like airspace, because I've passed all my theory -I should be treated like a pilot coming from another country.

I have no idea which is true or if it's some combination. I've contacted 3 schools in the Sydney basin by email, but have yet to hear from any of them (nothing for a week, so I guess business must be good...)

Not looking to get my CPL or anything speccy. Just want my PPL back for pleasure flying. Any advice appreciated.