PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sully's Flare on the Hudson: Airbus Phugoid Feedback
Old 24th May 2017, 00:14
zzuf

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Armadis of Gaul, not only as you say, but this guy obviously has no engineering background, despite his claim of being a flight control engineer.
I was going to write a detailed post on how he, on the basis of one data point, would rewrite the longitudinal control laws of a very success airline aircraft.
I happened to spend time, as a certification TP, at Airbus flying the experimental sidestick A300 with Gordon Corps and the early A320 with Nick Warner.
For this guy to say "a flare is a flare" shows he has zero knowledge of the months of engineering and flight test work which went into developing the laws to get the aircraft from 100 feet to nose wheel firmly on the ground, easily, consistently, and safely in all configurations and weather conditions.
He didn't think far enough ahead to realize this highly unlikely event could be repeated but with power available on at least one engine. His new control law will face a savage reality check when power is chopped and the standard strong nose down pitching moment occurs.
I could say he has the supreme confidence of the totally ignorant, but prefer to believe he is a fraud.
Unfortunately he will probably reappear with a different id.