PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Initial Twin training. Are aborted take off's required by CASA
Old 23rd May 2017, 23:25
john_tullamarine

Received 97 Likes on 65 Posts
Therefore a "short" field landing speed should by definition be the same as a normal landing i.e. not below the AFM speed

Most of Tee Emm's flying has been on heavies where book speed is the aim with only minor additives involved.

I suspect that the CASA concern is with the oft-seen GA approach at speeds considerably higher than book speed .. ergo .. the intention is to ensure that the candidate can manage a satisfactory book speed approach and landing.

Other than for specific approvals, civil standards don't address STOL ie there is no defensible reason for approaching below AFM/POH book speed. If one does, and screws the landing up somewhat, then one ought to have a good story in mind for the Inquiry. The only story I can see being valid is something tied up with an emergency or other non-normal high priority situation. (Yes, I know .. we've all done it but it really isn't a routinely good idea).