PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 23rd May 2017, 09:51
Geriaviator

Received 241 Likes on 75 Posts
Yes indeed Harry, what was the York like to fly, did it bear resemblance to its much-loved military sister the Lancaster? Did you like it? It does seem to figure quite often in accident reports … I saw one at Bombay on our way home in 1947 and another flew over Binbrook about 1950 but neither myself nor father ever was close to one.

I have asked in this matchless thread for memories of icing, one brush was enough for me and I know that many WW2 aircraft were lost because of it, but we would all welcome memories of post-war aviation when experienced crews still battled with limited equipment and the same old weather.

Further to the discussion on instrument panels, Capt. A A Fresson's book Air Road to the Isles recalls operating DH89 Rapides on the Scottish island services, with no artificial horizon or DI on some aircraft. He did have ADF radio compass and an early radio altimeter – the radio had a 200ft aerial which was wound in for landing except in bad weather. The radio op would keep one hand on the cable and tell the pilot when he felt it brush the surface. As the aerial had a 7lb lead weight on the end wise groundlubbers stayed inside during the procedure.