PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MS big update but now not a W10 with key.
Old 22nd May 2017, 22:03
Loose rivets
Psychophysiological entity

Location: Tweet Rob_Benham Famous author. Well, slightly famous.
Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts
As it happens, the SSD offered up to the Lenovo did have W10 Pro on it. But it's probably academic since the machine's BIOS never recognised the new device. Odd though, because it was when I put the 2TB HD back in that I found the originally upgraded W10 was destroyed. However, IIRC, the recover did not want a key - that came with a big update after weeks of inactivity. That's IF IRC.

A By the way. I put that SSD back in the laptop that it had been upgraded on (from 7 Pro) and it still worked. Not sure I want to try that again, though that machine is running on W7 since the Vaio name has been sold 'To a group of investors and that's why we're not writing drivers for the older machines.' Blooody Nora. An i7Vaio, too old for drivers. (it runs on W10, but the Fn and S1 buttons do nowt. )

I called an experienced dealer in a nearby town today - he was the one that a while ago said that one was allowed three changes on a given OS. I never put that to the test, though looking back I did seem to get away with a few 'pushin' me luck' situations.

Now he says HD and something else is okay, but MB, a definite loss of your OS. How bloody miserable of them. I know why, but it's just not kind. when you've had such bad luck.

Belarc. Yes, I mentioned that. It's been suggested that it pumps out random and worthless keys. In other words, MS are on to them*. Certainly, the keys I've gleaned since W10 simply have not worked.

I'll try Belarc again. I'm inclined to like them since a chap there worked with me** trying to get the key for my Asus hi-end laptop. (The reduced No key on the Hologram sticker.)

"We can't get them yet, but we will."

But, is it going to be a pain trying the results?

At the moment, the PC is going via my MS account. If I get a key via Belarc, presumably I'll have to do a clean install before being asked to put a key in again. Mucho workload, but my curiosity is piqued.

* I wonder how long it will be before they're on to the Key's for Sale. Normal ISO download of the latest, and then buy a key for a few $. It doesn't seem possible anything nasty could be in that software as it just generates a key. Or not even that, just gives the key. Not sure which. I hasten to add, I've not tried it.

** So nice in the US, I seemed to get chatting to folk with such ease. Indeed, that was where a nice MS lady said how many seats I'd got left on my Office. Very impressive, even if rather frighteningly all-seeing.

I'm still doing a bit of watch fettling, and it's easier for me to call one of my old suppliers in the US than try to deal with companies here.