PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BBVA Stop Funding Pilot Loans
View Single Post
Old 22nd May 2017, 18:40
Rottweiler22

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've said this before, but I haven't met anyone at a top school who has the BBVA loan. I don't think the BBVA pulling-out of flight training finance will make any difference whatsoever to the number of people going through the doors of CTC and CAE.

One thing I do know is that a lot of people applied for the BBVA loan and were rejected, many of whom looked at alternate methods of finance, eventually settling on re-mortgaging, parents, grandparents, inheritances, etc. The big schools love to plaster the BBVA scheme all over their brochures, giving the illusion of "accessibility" to all, putting the idea into teenager's heads of "I'll just get a loan and pay it back when I'm creaming it for BA", possibly bringing a fair few people through their doors on open days, and some, onto a course. If the schools have to admit that funding is now well and truly down to you, with no "partner scheme" or anything like that, it will make the whole idea of flight training feel much more inaccessible, and stop people from even bothering to go to open days. But, like I said, I don't know a single person on an integrated course who has the BBVA loan, so it probably won't make any difference.

Although I'd love to see it happen, sadly, I fear that the notion of EZY underwriting training is just a pipe dream. There are hundreds of highly motivated young people queuing-up for this opportunity, who do have £130k ready to go, so I think it's a case of pay-up or pack-up. As long as this is happening, EZY won't pay a penny.