PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - current employment outlook
View Single Post
Old 22nd May 2017, 16:51
deedledeedle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
current employment outlook

hi,

i'm very close to committing on my training however i'd appreciate the input of those with much more experience of the industry than myself.

i'm currently 43 family man,a carpenter and looking for a change(i've had enough of working in the rain/snow/cold winters and the effect the job has on your body).i've been interested in avaition since i was a child but i've never had the finances to seriously consider it,however,we recently sold our house,made some good gains and now have the finances to allow me to do it,however whilst i don't need to go into debt to do it i'd be hoping for more than just certificates on the wall at the end of it.

the course i'd be commiting to is based in roskilde,denmark.iv'e been for a chat with them and they said if it were 5 years ago i'd probably be wasting my time and money but at the moment the prospects for low hour pilots are as good as they've ever been and whilst there are no guarantees things are looking good.they also said they are struggling to get instructors and with the rating there could be a position with them until other things turn up.

iv'e read countless webpages over the last month or so all with contradictory opinions/advice but the most recently updated pages generally seem to feel there may a pilot shortage approaching.

I have no particular direction in mind as i was unsure what was possible for low hours.

any thoughts/advice appreciated