PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airlines that don't allow to fly raw data
Old 21st May 2017, 21:29
172_driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The problem was mainly a bunch of ex fast jet jocks in one base but approaches were being thrown away at 1000' at 250kts clean, or continued to land without landing flap. I don't agrrr with the solution but can sympathise with a chief pilot losing what little hair he retains looking at those sorts of FOQA traces.
Better than the crew who flew it on autopilot on a VMC day into a Terrain-Terrain Pull Up trying to fix a hot-and-high visual with the use of autopilot.

Anyway.. I know the guy who did it. He's a little special. However, he's probably a better stick & rudder guy than the majority of Ryanair pilots on the line today. On the day he lost the plot, we all do sometimes. They threw it away at the right time. The flight ops management has their clear view on the use of automation, this was the opportune moment for them to make a final settlement on its use.

EDIT: Jwscud, the above is true if we're talking about the same base. I don't recognize any ex fast jet jocks doing high-energy approaches, but rather one guy who had to misfortune of triggering the OFDM one too many times with this particular arrival that has since been named after him