PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wireless Internet - pros and cons
View Single Post
Old 20th May 2017, 21:17
The late XV105

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My broadband service is served by a microwave backhaul to the village hall and then a 5.8Ghz WiFi connection covering the village. I have a 14cm Nanobeam antenna mounted to the side of my house in line of site to the village hall mast. Distance is about a quarter of a mile but the Nanobeam supports 6+ miles and up to 150Mbps where the provider permits it.

The provider prides itself on minimising contention and that's exactly my experience. For £40 per month I pay for a 20Mbps service up and down and in practice get 19.6+Mpbps both ways. latency is typically 25ms to any major UK speedtest server - low enough that pages on fast servers such as BBC News load "instantly".

I work from home when I am not abroad and Skype for Business VOIP calls with desktop sharing are rock steady, and 20/20 is proving perfectly adequate for HD iplayer streaming on multiple devices as well as other concurrent web activity including file backup to the cloud and Skype video calls.

Edited to add: Having ported my telephone number to VOIPFONE and dispensed completely with my landline, my total communications bill (broadband plus telephone line and calls) has fallen by £250 p.a. as a nice Brucie bonus on top of kicking a chronically slow ADSL connection in to touch.

I hope this helps and wish you good luck.

Last edited by The late XV105; 20th May 2017 at 21:20. Reason: Added phone info