PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airlines that don't allow to fly raw data
Old 20th May 2017, 16:41
Denti

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That is what my company says in their OM/A:

Policy on the use of Autopilot and Autothrottle
During flight autopilot and autothrottle should be used to the maximum extent practical. This will relieve the workload of the flight crew and give them more time to monitor instruments and weather conditions. However periodic and deliberate practice of manual flight is recommended to hold flight crew flying skills on a high and professional level.

When the use of autopilot and/or autothrottle becomes unproductive they should be disconnected immediately.
In general that means that we can fly as much without flight director as we want to, taking into consideration weather, our colleague, traffic density and so on. Some of us do nearly every take off with the No Flight Director Takeoff procedure (pro-nor-srp-01-30) and every approach without a flight director as well. Unlike on the 737NG an RNAV approach without flight director is not really possible on the A320 (i would be happy to be proven wrong there).

Most do the occasional approach without flight director and enjoy the rare visuals we can fly, some never fly the aircraft for more than the first 100ft and the last 200 to 300ft and never without flight director and autothrust. Those usually have the biggest jitters when the next simulator is due. I would say that at least 80% do not use autothrust on manually flown approaches, even when using a flight director. Manual and "raw data" flying is actively encouraged by trainers and flight management alike.

All that in a small network airline/ACMI provider in the middle of europe.