PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LONDON CITY - 2
Thread: LONDON CITY - 2
View Single Post
Old 20th May 2017, 11:39
good egg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WHBM
One said, quite reasonably, that LCY is particularly prone to fog, and what remote video arrangement could be better than the Mk 1 eyeball on the spot at such times - for myself, I wonder what camera will pick up the HEMS helicopter from the Royal London Hospital coming low across the rooftops and over the airport, as it regularly does. Or the unauthorised weekend Cessnas coming by. Or one of the tightly-manoeuvring aircraft just breaching the live runway line or turning towards the wrong taxiway.

Another commentator just said "that's the last time I use it then". On mainstream news radio. How can LCY have done something that causes that to be said.

I presume that it is perceived to be cheaper. With the rebuilding of the main terminal building a new tower is otherwise presumably needed, and the owners have decided that the associated money is better diverted into their Canadian teachers' pension plan funds than spent on sensible safety provisions at the airport.

It's not quite apparent which radio is to be replaced. Thames Radar, City Approach, or City Ground. Or all three ?
Oh where to start? At the top I guess...

LCY is prone to fog, that's true, for a few days a year - and that is not going to change with or without a digital tower.
Arrivals are unlikely to land, or indeed attempt a legal approach, in fog due to the limits of the Instrument Landing System and the respective minima of each airline operator/aircraft involved. Departures may occur (subject to departure minima). When in these conditions the tower controller uses procedural separation - because, using the Mk I eyeball, he/she can't see the aircraft. That wouldn't change with a digital tower (unless IR technology is incorporated - and I didn't notice any mention of that in any press release).

Re: HEMS...according to various releases the camera definition is better than the human eye. That, combined with labelling of aircraft, should surely make it easier to pick up the medical helicopter? Similarly the Cessna, or other aircraft types.

Sounds like sensible safety provision/enhancements.

I don't follow your comment regarding which radio is to be replaced - please expand.