PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LONDON CITY - 2
Thread: LONDON CITY - 2
View Single Post
Old 20th May 2017, 07:55
WHBM

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
The remote control arrangement was being substantially criticised, and in fact parodied, by multiple radio news commentators as soon as it was released.

One said, quite reasonably, that LCY is particularly prone to fog, and what remote video arrangement could be better than the Mk 1 eyeball on the spot at such times - for myself, I wonder what camera will pick up the HEMS helicopter from the Royal London Hospital coming low across the rooftops and over the airport, as it regularly does. Or the unauthorised weekend Cessnas coming by. Or one of the tightly-manoeuvring aircraft just breaching the live runway line or turning towards the wrong taxiway.

Another commentator just said "that's the last time I use it then". On mainstream news radio. How can LCY have done something that causes that to be said.

I presume that it is perceived to be cheaper. With the rebuilding of the main terminal building a new tower is otherwise presumably needed, and the owners have decided that the associated money is better diverted into their Canadian teachers' pension plan funds than spent on sensible safety provisions at the airport.

It's not quite apparent which radio is to be replaced. Thames Radar, City Approach, or City Ground. Or all three ?