PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Transitioning from Cessna 150 to 172S
View Single Post
Old 18th May 2017, 22:05
9 lives

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can't argue against the use of checklists, however there are flaws in the concept, in a single pilot situation. If the checklist is being used by a second crew member, as a challenge and response, when that second crew member is not task saturated, excellent. However, when a pilot is trying to fly, manage an abnormal situation, the attempt to use a checklist as "instructions", could itself become task saturation for the pilot. And, if a checklist is being used, and that use is interrupted, really the checklist should be begun again from the top. More task saturation, with the possibility that the checklist must be restarted several times to get to the end.

The use of a checklist during normal operations, when the pilot is able to allocate time for its use is fine. But, abnormal events of an urgent nature may not be the right time to refer to a checklist - those should be memory items, based upon understanding the aircraft. Get it settled, then when all is calm, and the aircraft secure, and under control, refer to the checklist to assure that the steps you have taken were correct and complete.

In the context of 150 to 172, this is low seriousness stuff. Aside possibly from fuel mismanaged caused engine failures, there really aren't any abnormal events in a 150 or 172 for which a checklist needs to be used in real time. Yes, during normal operations, of after the event, refer to the checklist.

The only thing worse than not referring to the checklist, when you really needed to, is referring to it, and missing some steps, 'cause you rushed, and not knowing that you missed those steps!

For certain complex aircraft I fly, I do use a checklist, as I recognize, that although I know how to fly it, missing a step, particularly during a turbine engine start, can cause an expensive mistake. For the 150 - 172... if you miss a start step, it probably just won't start!