PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 18th May 2017, 20:32
Danny42C

FED (#10636),

"... your memory is fading..." All too true ! Like my "Get up and go", it's Got up and gone.

À propos nothing at all, in the process of a chuck-out today, found the (full size) gold lace wings that came with my 1950 No.1 SD Jacket (of evil memory). The idea was to replace the wartime jacket and the prewar Mess jacket with this dual purpose garment. It would serve as a parade jacket by day, and at night would form a Mess jacket (with white shirt, black bow and a cummerbund). It was emphasised that this was the future, there would no going back.

A few timorous souls (inc your humble correspondent) fell for it and bought the damned thing. Then, of course, the uproar of execration rose to such a level that the AM keeled over. They went back to the wartime jacket plus prewar Mess kit. One change remained, the wartime four-button jacket lost a button. Conversion to three-button was not difficult.

I binned my 1950 job and was well out of pocket. Must've stashed the gold lace wings away and forgotten them.

Danny.