PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 18th May 2017, 15:57
Fareastdriver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
We had a task in the mid seventies to go to Catterick Barracks to do some training with the, IIRC, the 15th Light Gun Regiment. This task, for about three days, involved lifting the troops and their howitzers over the Catterick ranges for their annual aviation training.

As usual I telephoned the unit to tie up the loose ends, where to land and accommodation requirements. This was sorted and in passing they mentioned that they dressed for dinner on Tuesdays. We were there through Monday to Wednesday and I was being accompanied by the Squadrons Crewman Leader who, in the Support helicopter world, was a Flight Lieutenant.

I, having been involved with Pongos from my days in Borneo, knew that 'dressing for dinner' meant mess kits so I arranged with Paddy for us to take our mess kits with us. We did the days tasking during which I claimed the World's Speed Record for a 105mm. Howitzer at 135 knots, (cheating bit because it didn't have a blast plate on) and in the evening came time for nosh.

Paddy and I, in full kit minus gongs walked through the door and there were all the resident officers--------------------wait for it.

In full Regimental Mess Dress.

The reception was overwhelming. The last thing they thought was that two RAF officers on a short training detachment being prepared to honour their long standing tradition was totally unexpected.

My presence was enough. As with all the my FTSs, squadrons, stations, wars etc.; the Regiment folded within a couple of years.