PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 18th May 2017, 13:19
Danny42C

Geriaviator (#10631),

Knowing your precocious talent for creating mayhem where none previously existed, I look forward to your next offerings and fear for the mental stability of Padre Ashe (was it?) !

'''''''''''

DHfan (nem.con.) (#10632),

Now that anopheles has taken the stage here, I recall that, five years ago, almost to the day, I wrote on this Thread:

"It was a rule that ankles and wrists must be covered after dark; they are the favourite points of attack for the malaria mossie; I suppose that the superficial veins there are easier for the beastie to dig down to. Even with all the precautions and the daily mepacrine tablet, everybody got malaria at least once, and some several times, while out there. It was regarded as no more serious than (and felt like) a bad dose of 'Flu. It put you on your back for a fortnight, and you weren't much use for a week or two after that".
And:
"But we had been stationary for hours at a time, often at night. Now there are all sorts of malaria, but in our day there were simply two: "Benign Tertian", and "Malign Tertian" (BT & MT). The first is bad, the second worse. BT is usually treatable in SSQ (or even in your own basha). This time I had MT and it put me on my back in a military hospital in Quetta. I honestly thought I'd "had it". (There is also a rare "Cerebral" malaria, with a high mortality rate, and another insect-borne disease: "Dengue" fever, a sort of "Malaria-lite", much milder, which lasts about a week)".
Just thought I'd mention it.

''''''''''

FED (#10633),

That's what I call "cutting it fine" (I trust you were unaccompanied by any lady other than your wife ?)

Cheers, all, Danny.