PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sion SIR/LSGS
Thread: Sion SIR/LSGS
View Single Post
Old 17th May 2017, 22:04
Tagron

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Sion weather minima and associated procedures make for interesting reading. To summarise briefly: -
Landing, visibility 5km. Night landings, only RW25 approved.
Take off, visibility 5km, but 1500m if RW25 High Performance Departure used.. RW07 only Standard Departure available
Night departures RW25 only . HP Departure required . RW07 not approved

The reason for the 5km minimum is that the IGS and RNAV approaches are visual from 5.8 miles and the Standard Departures include a visual segment - essentialy an extended racetrack in the valley to gain altitude. The gradient is only 4.8%, so not too demanding. But the High Performance Departure (necessary in lower visibilities and at night) is a straight climb out ahead and requires 13.4%.to 7000feet..

Now consider these minima in the context of an operation claiming to run four rotations per day every day for six days in the middle of winter. . Of course they may be expecting a major pruning of frequencies in the light of actual bookings.

I cannot recall any announcement or mention of the ownership or the names of post holders in this venture. This may not seem important to potential ticket purchasers, but I suspect those connected to the industry would like to have some idea of the experience and technical competence of key players, The only attributable statement I can find is from the Marketing Manager. Have I missed something ?,