PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Changing logbook from FAA to EASA
View Single Post
Old 17th May 2017, 17:40
selfin

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As far as your Safey pilot hours go, if another pilot was logging the flight as PIC in FAA land, you cannot count them in EASA land unless the other pilot does not.
EASA need not reject pilot-in-command time recorded by a person acting as pilot-in-command merely because, under the foreign regulations governing the flight, another pilot may log pilot-in-command time. Clearly, the other pilot cannot [also] log pilot-in-command time for EASA qualification purposes despite being able to do so for US certification purposes.

An inspecting of both logbooks would fail to answer who acted as pilot-in-command, unless for example one of the pilots acted in the capacity of a certificated flight instructor. See footnote 10 to Admin. v Strobel, N.T.S.B. Order No. EA-4384 (Jul. 18, 1995):

Our precedent makes clear that, "[r]egardless of who is
manipulating the controls of the aircraft during an instructional
flight, or what degree of proficiency the student has attained,
the flight instructor is always deemed to be the pilot-incommand."
Administrator v. Hamre, 3 NTSB 28, 31 (1977). This
principle was reaffirmed in Administrator v. Walkup, 6 NTSB 36
(1988).
Alex,

So the time I logged as PIC while I was Safety Pilot, and not the pilot flying, is not loggable under EASA.
Actually I cannot see why a required safety pilot who acts as pilot-in-command cannot be credited as such for EASA purposes. The other pilot who only logs pilot-in-command time must, however, not claim pilot-in-command time for EASA purposes.