PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Recollection of Fletcher FU-24 Fatal Accident Armidale area circa 1957
Old 17th May 2017, 13:53
Judd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
John Marshall, now there's a name I haven't seen for many a day
I wonder if it was the same John Marshal (a real gentleman) that was a Perth based DCA RPT Examiner circa 1970. In those days DCA RPT Examiners were given continuation training in the DCA HS125 at Essendon and Avalon. This John Marshall (if indeed it was the DCA bloke) was in the left seat of the HS125 taking off from 26 at Essendon.
The "check captain" in the RH seat for want of a better word was Stu McDowell the chief pilot of the DCA Flying Unit. Stu could be excitable. During the take off roll the left seat pilots window came unlocked and came open. John Marshall immediately aborted the take off roll and safely stopped the aircraft.

Stu went right up him for aborting without his permission since he (Stu) was the "Commander"; a term he loved. I often wondered what words were exchanged but certainly John Marshal made an instantaneous decision and acted on it; based probably on his Comet RAF experience. A case of no time to waste waiting for the "Commander" to make up his mind.