PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Luton Minor
Thread: Luton Minor
View Single Post
Old 17th May 2017, 12:03
Dan Dare

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It sounds as though you already have all the skills required to keep a small taildragger flying. Other than hangar-rash events there is very little woodwork/fabric repair work and most maintenance is likely to be the engine.

The VW is very simple and has very readily available parts. If you get one with magnetos you may need to to tweak them more often than the oil change and some aircraft will require the engine to be moved to get in to adjust them! Leburg electronic ignition is magic and saves all of this, but if you get electronic issues they're much harder to trouble-shoot. Parts replaced on condition and I would guess at: new plugs every couple of years £20; Exhausts about five years unless you get stainless steel; gaskets come as an economical set, where some get changed regularly and some almost never, but still worth buying the set; valve gaps should probably be done a couple of times a year and very easy without removing the engine; I suppose valves and head studs may last five years and come to a small number of hundreds.

LAA inspector is invaluable! You should get a good relationship with them as even when you are quite hands-on they can be a sanity check against your "good" idea. Payment is an individual thing and in my time it ranged from regular shout of brandy/soda at the bar to "mates-rates" professional hourly fees. If you get the wrong sort of inspector it could get more "BMW main dealer" sort of fees and tied-up in their pet minutiae. Luckily I never experience that, but knew someone with a Luton Minor that was effectively grounded by this.

Finally, if you are not particularly tied to one VW single seater (most have pros and cons) look at their safety record too. The Luton is not the most exciting performer of them, but when it goes wrong it does so very slowly so I don't think they have ever killed anyone. The others don't have that sort of record.