PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 17th May 2017, 11:16
Danny42C

Chugalug (#10626),

Thank you for lending a hand ! Don't worry about my not being able to open your link - you've told me the gist of it already. I've passed on Molemot's idea to Peter Smith, we'll see what happens. Browserwise, my situation is that my box of tricks, bought some six years ago, came with Windows 7 Home Premium in the package. I've made some half-hearted attempts to upgrade to Windows 10, but all came to naught - I'm just too stupid. But from what I hear, it is just as well, as Windows 7 does all I need, although I often get sniffy notes telling me I'm using an obsolete browser. (I use Internet Explorer).

In a "fit of absence of mind" (there's no other word for it), I got Google Chrome as well (don't ask me how I did that), and sailed along happily enough with those two ever since. Generally, I keep PPRuNe on IEx, do all my drafting on NotePad files, and email on GCh, but when one sulks, sometimes have to swap over. (In this way, found I could copy a pic on GCh from a post or Wiki, but not paste it - but it'd paste on IEx !)

Tried to bring your Link up, but neither would play, so at their (which ?) suggestion, tried to update (what ? how ?), blundered on hopelessly till I finished up with a new gmail address which I would fain be rid of, but don't know how. Have closed my eyes to that, left it alone, and hope that when I open them again it will have gone away.

You see what a mess the Sorcerer's Apprentice can get into when he really puts his mind to it ?

"...but perhaps someone can try for you..." .... Please Don't, folks - I'm in a state of Utter Invincible Ignorance in these matters, I cannot be helped, I'm beyond help !

Now, to talk about things I do know something about. Your:
...It would be interesting if Red had experienced that same facet of basic training...
I don't think the RCAF (or anyone else ?) taught it (that's what we'd like to know). But it is interesting that it would work as well with a Vengeance as a Stearman. In principle, it would work with anything, provided the pilot was thoroughly familiar with his beast !

Note my remarks (somewhere ages ago) about "Red" being "one of the old Blenheim brigade (on 110)". Seems not, he was my exact contemporary - probably had done a Hurricane OCU in UK, then shanghai'd to Bombay (like me).

My "Starwriter" (which died - again - the other week) due back today. Repairs have now cost far more than a fully reconditioned one would have done at the beginning. I never learn. I once had a new Renault 16 (of evil memory); engine repairs in the end added up to more than the cost of a new engine (it was out of its measly six month's warranty, which was all they gave you in those days).

Oldest Inhabitant (in full Victor Meldrew mode) subsides mumbling into his ale.

Cheers, Danny.

EDIT: Molemot (#10628),

Not to worry - it'll "all come out in the wash !"

Danny,

Last edited by Danny42C; 17th May 2017 at 11:29. Reason: STOP PRESS !