PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Luton Minor
Thread: Luton Minor
View Single Post
Old 16th May 2017, 23:29
abgd

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
I have a Turbulent and would buy one again. Perhaps not the same one, but having spent a fair amount of time and money on fixing bits and pieces I'm growing very fond of it. That's not to say a Luton Minor would be a bad idea or that a Jodel wouldn't be a better one. But on paper at least the Turbulent is a bit more versatile and the luggage compartment has enough room to be useful. You can get to fly-before-you-buy through the Tiger club. They come up reasonably frequently so I imagine if you wait long enough you'll find one. There was one a month or two back for 6500.

My main issue with aircraft ownership has been the need to get a lathe and mill... There are always little bits and pieces that need fixing - for me the biggest one has been a tailwheel assembly as I found that a tailskid on tarmac was not a good idea. For a thoroughly sorted aircraft you might not need to do anything for a long time. But I'm generally quite busy and it can take a while to get things done. Even quite simple problems can result in a fair bit of down-time.

What took me a bit by surprise was the interest that a 'classic' aircraft seems to generate. All I wanted initially was something cheap to learn tailwheel techniques and keep current in. In a way that's still all I want, and the Turbulent fills the role nicely. But wherever I go the plane-spotters get excited and start snapping away. It's nice that it makes them so happy; I also often find myself wondering about the chap who spent most of the 1960s building it - I'm glad it's in the air again.