PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 16th May 2017, 22:08
Chugalug2

Received 228 Likes on 71 Posts
Molemot, well done Sir! Hopefully the transposition of a single letter has cracked Danny's (and Peter Smith's!) search for Red's details.

Danny, your tale of a Vengeance continuing to the target, dive-bombing it, and then returning to base, all without an ASI perhaps points up the appropriateness of your no ASI basic training. It would be interesting if Red had experienced that same facet of basic training.

I seem to recall my own training included "partial panel" exercises whereby the artificial horizon was covered, leaving the turn and slip, compass, ASI, VSI, and Altimeter only.

Danny explodes, "Partial panel? That was our full one!" For some reason the lad pushing his delivery bike up a steep hill in the Hovis ad comes to mind. Can't think why!

Danny, I'm sorry that you can't open the link in my #10620 and I seem to recall similar problems previously. I doubt it has much to do with the age of your laptop. I would suspect your browser and it might be worthwhile downloading another. If you do a Google search for, say, Google Chrome, click on the first offering and then on the 32 bit download. It will take awhile doing so but you should be able to open it then (if you can't find it, it should be in "downloads"). Having opened it, get through all the "welcome" tosh ASAP, and then search for "PPRuNe" and navigate to this thread. Try opening my link again. Hopefully it will work. You will be rewarded with a full colour picture of a Stearman (fleet number 45) resplendent in full blue and yellow plumage overflying the Carlstrom "circle". I think the pic dates from 1942/43.

If those more tech savvy than I spot any howlers in the above please declare them now (or forever hold....). I'm not sure of your operating system, Danny. If it's XP then maybe it will no longer be compatible with a Chrome download. No problem if so, it can easily be deleted.

Up to you of course, but perhaps someone can try for you if you don't fancy trying it yourself?