PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Squirrel helicopter crash in Bergen, Norway May 2017
Old 16th May 2017, 20:18
albatross

Received 156 Likes on 78 Posts
I have landed on a few oil rigs, and the worst are "permanent installations" in the tropics where covers for various fixtures and the nylon ropes securing them have been sun bleached to the point where they are degraded to breaking point. A big problem which can easily be missed in a safety check. The lashings may look safe but grab one, give it a good jerk and it fails. In the constant safety checks these covers become "background noise" there is no program for close inspection or regular replacement. In this case..who fabricated this cover or certified that it was safe and properly secured? Hope everyone recovers from their injuries. As for awards and medals....I think we are getting way ahead of the parade.

I always remember the description given by a friend after an unsecured 3* sleeping bag flew up into the rotor system of his 500C .."Boys, I was over on my back faster than a cheap, ugly Saturday night whore at closing time!"

Last edited by albatross; 16th May 2017 at 20:51.