PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SOUTHEND 5
Thread: SOUTHEND 5
View Single Post
Old 16th May 2017, 14:08
Tagron

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am not surprised there could be issues with the Sion operation. I was thinking of starting a separate thread, but,meanwhile, staying here: -

I don't believe the runway will present a problem for a heavy A319. If there is a problem I suggest it is likely to revolve around the second segment climb requirement (continued take off from engine failure at V1) . Only a type specific run of the performance data would give the answer there. Whether an RNP procedure would improve the situation might be a consideration.

There is now a RNAV/RNP arrival available which uses a better more shallow approach - only 3.6 degrees as opposed to the 6.0 degrees of the IGS. That would require an RNP capable aircraft - certainly possible for an A319 ( though presumably only after a retrofit. ?) Both the RNP and IGS are essentially visual approaches from 5 miles, so limits will be high. One can understand why an ACMI supplier could be getting cold feet.

Then there is the issue of strong easterly winds which may occur in foehn conditions. How will that work ?

Sion actually seems to enjoy a favoured weather location in Switzerland so the situation may not be as bad as made out. But its still the Alps in mid winter. It seems to me there could be a world of difference between occasional one off flights and basing an entire network there. Schedule disruption could be a major issue.

Last edited by Tagron; 16th May 2017 at 16:15. Reason: Various minor changes