PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Negativity in the industry
View Single Post
Old 16th May 2017, 08:42
Officer Kite

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Piltdown Man
This in turn has reduced our T's & C's to a point whereby no pilot I know would recommend this industry to their children. What sort of industry is that?

That is striking. Is this because of boredom on the job? Or solely due to a decrease in salary etc? ... or perhaps a combination?

The thing is, when compared to the vast majority of other jobs, being a pilot still comes out quite high in terms of overall job satisfaction and salary (it's still one of the top 5 highest paying jobs in the UK ... that can't be ignored surely). On paper, it is not that bad at all. Pilots are not exactly on the breadline.

Yes what about being a doctor, lawyer, setting up a business with the cash for flight training etc ... the thing is that for me at least - I have no interest whatsoever in anything else other than aviation. It is a passion, what better than to work in the field you are passionate about?

Could it be that you are comparing it to when you first started out? Things of course are not like they were back then, but the same could be said for many professions.

But is being an airline pilot what you want? The most fun I ever had was firefighting.
But if you went down to your local firestation and asked would they rather be a pilot or a firefighter, I think most of them would pick the former.