PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Negativity in the industry
View Single Post
Old 16th May 2017, 08:17
Piltdown Man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Several years ago a girlfriend came up with a collective noun for a group of pilots, she called it a "whinge". In many ways she is right. But the reality is, most people moan at work (My wife though is an exception, she moans at home.). Part of that moaning comes from having to deal with the pointless niffnaff and trivia that is part of our job. Let's start: RVSM checks on an electronic aircraft. Why? ATC having the uncanny ability to spot when you are late or early and assigning you a speed opposite to the one you want. Having to pass through the pointless theatre of security (as applied in most airports) only to be given a your own manned missile.

Yet the above are the minor points. As we have become wealthier, the relative cost of learning to fly has reduced. This has resulted in there being more pilots than jobs available. This in turn has reduced our T's & C's to a point whereby no pilot I know would recommend this industry to their children. What sort of industry is that?

I'm not a big moaner. I enjoy my days at work but know it won't last forever, I'll be retiring shortly. And when I do, I'll not fly. I do not want to queue, be abused by security gestapo, pay a fortune for parking, be treated like an idiot during boarding or on a plane and when I arrive be surrounded by my own countrymen who do not know what knives and forks are let alone common courtesy.

As for a being a possible new entrant, you do have to ask yourself, are you going to make it? You will be spending a fortune to get a bits of paper. Will you earn enough to live and eat in the first few years and service your loans? Do you have a family to support she doing so? Lastly, will you enjoy the job?