PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bizjet Crash at Teterboro, New Jersey
View Single Post
Old 16th May 2017, 01:23
Airbubba

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by oyster cracker
I have about 1200 hr. in a Lear 25. My first thought is a yaw damper issue. It was a critical item during landing with the 25 series, don't know if the 35 was as squirrelery as the 25 was with the YD inop or disabled.
I've got a few hundred hours in Lear 35A's many years ago. I was thinking the yaw damper was critical at high speeds but maybe even off in the flare for landing on some 35A's? You had to have both yaw dampers operational for dispatch, right?

One thing that made the Lear 35A squirrelly on landing was fuel in the tip tanks. It seemed the closer you got to the runway the more the roll and yaw axes wanted to couple in this condition.

Originally Posted by AKAAB
My gut says late turn to final based on the controller's comment about starting the turn. Overshot final, then buttonhooked back towards the runway with overbanking to compensate for the overshoot.
That would be my guess with the little information we have at the moment. The impact was near the extended runway centerline on short final.

About the only other idea would be a flap and/or spoilereron asymmetry when final flaps were selected after the circle, which was actually a dogleg from the runway 6 final course I would think.

This plane had Aeronca reversers. I think the other options on the 35A were Dee Howard's and none. Dee Howard's famous thrust reverser sales pitch: 'What's stopping you?'