PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - DHC-1 chipmunk
Thread: DHC-1 chipmunk
View Single Post
Old 15th May 2017, 19:27
Dora-9

Received 39 Likes on 26 Posts
I suspect it is in this spin that the strakes are designed for and recovering a strakeless aircraft in this event would lead to using far more heartbeats.
Hmm. Having once frightened myself witless by losing control during an upward climbing roll manouvre (stupid I know) in a strakeless Chipmunk, I'm not sure I'd care to repeat the manouvre in an aircraft fitted with them to see if there's a difference! For the record., the aircraft violently tumbled itself into a flattish spin, and it took me several seconds to catch up with what the aircraft was doing.

But I think Dan is (as always) absoltutely correct when he talks about the difference between a 50 kt deliberate entry and a inadvertent stalled entry. This is alluded to in the VH-UPD Accident Report - Investigation: AO-2014-114 - Collision with terrain involving DHC-1, 'Chipmunk' VH-UPD near Coffs Harbour, NSW on 29 June 2014

The circumstances of a spin entry near the top of a loop may be very different. If a loop is not carriedout correctly,the aeroplane can flick-roll or stall at the top of the loop and, if not in balanced flight,may enter an upright spin.
The whole report is well worth reading. The inadequate training the hapless pilot had received makes me angry every time!