PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sorry to burden you all with a very thick radio question.....
Old 10th Feb 2002, 08:41
knobbygb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

On the question of legality, in the UK...

I'm setting off for a mornings flying at the airfield and want to be up to date on the Wx. At what point am I OK to tune into the ATIS or air/ground? In the car on the way there? Once I have arrived on the field? Once I climb into the a/c? In other words, what exactly is 'permission' to tune in? Probably a pointless question as I can't forsee ever being challenged, but would be interested to know. Surely as a pilot, I could justify listening into to any normal (civil) ATC as 'training'. Exactly what permission would I need? Daft, realy, isn't it?

And in the US...

I've heard somewhere (ages ago, can't remember) that each state has different laws on using airband receivers. Some or OK with it, in some it's illegal but they don't mind, in others it's taken more seriously. Any idea where I could find out? (I ALWAYS have my scanner on when driving around on hols. out there - again I see this as 'training'). Would be nice not to get arrested, especially in the current security climate.