PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Cadets grounded?
View Single Post
Old 15th May 2017, 11:34
POBJOY

Received 79 Likes on 27 Posts
competence

Engines The simple truth is that the RAF are no longer competent to organise themselves for tech matters.
They do not have an 'in house' ability at the top level and are paying the price for the rush to 'outsource' everything (including the control)

I think the ATC has become a useful 'home' for career types that have lost the normal path and as usual the 'volunteers' at Squadron level have a difficult job trying to 'enthuse' the 'AIR' side of the organisation which has faded away.

The money that is poured into the organisation does not represent a good value on return if compared with providing the 'AIR' element.

That is not take away the other youth elements that are on offer, but I suspect we are loosing those that could get involved with aviation based on enthusiasm rather than affordability.

It matters not what material a basic aircraft is made from, as the 'experience' of flight at an early age is the factor that remains with the person rather than its technology. I would even suggest that a rocket like winch launch sitting in an airborne (very) open cockpit takes some beating for a youngster.

Last edited by POBJOY; 15th May 2017 at 19:43.