PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter commander relieved of duty
View Single Post
Old 29th Aug 2003, 03:00
RDRickster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

I really REALLY enjoyed the military when I served, but one of the reasons for leaving before retirement was the fact that most Senior Commanders are more concerned about political decisions rather than mission objectives and the morale and welfare of the soldiers in the field.

I miss the gruff commanders that would kick a$$, take names, and ask forgiveness later. Too much time spent covering your own tail feathers these days. In the case above, it was probably a lack of understanding of the culture which led to the error in judgement. I don't know how many people are familiar with the last few hundred of years of history in that region, let alone a pilot who spent the first part of the war being shot at and the last part being spit at.

They are sacraficing this pilot to save face and to make some absurd point. Seems to me a failure of his commander to ensure the proper sensitivity training was conducted. But guess what, SOLDIERS WERE NEVER MEANT TO SERVE IN THE ROLE OF CIVIL AFFAIRS, MP's, OR PUBLIC AFFAIRS. Soldiers (military pilots) are trained to be aggressive and trained to be warriors... the whole philosophy is to "close with and destroy the enemy."

Give me a break!