PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sniffing Avgas now!!!
View Single Post
Old 15th May 2017, 01:50
Jabawocky

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Wiggley
100LL still contains around 0.56g/L of lead. Children bio-accumulate lead more easily than adults if absorbed via the stomach or airway.

If you've ever spilled AVGAS on your clothing or shoes and had to fly somewhere wearing those cloths I'm sure you'll quickly change your mind as to how aromatic AVGAS really is.

The below is lifted directly from a MSDS, under the "inhalation" section.
Wiggley,

I did not question the absorption or retention rate, but that is interesting and not surprising. I am very aware of the aromatics in Avgas, and if you read my post, it is far less than say PULP like BP98. The inhalation section says nothing about being able to inhale Pb from the vapours of avgas. I doubt they consider that an inhalation problem, hence my questioning the news story.

So, while I am sure that was interesting to some, do you or anyone you know have any data on Pb in avgas vapour? I have never seen any.

And by the way I would guess the fuel up there is possible from BP Kwinana Refinery which has a lower grade alkylate than is required for 100LL so it will be AVGAS 100 (green stuff) and with a higher TEL content.

As you point out in your second post, the stealing process might be more the problem with TEL absorption, but I also wonder how much do you have to have oral contact with and how often would you need to do it to be a significant contributor? I suspect it is from other sources.

Now don't get me wrong, I do not suggest you bath in Avgas or any other fuel.

ASIC cards.......there is the real problem