PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Cadets grounded?
View Single Post
Old 14th May 2017, 18:21
Big Pistons Forever

Received 134 Likes on 61 Posts
The old ATC gliding "wings" badge gained by 3 solos in a converted shed is seen by the general gliding community as about as valid as an Egyptian driving license.
I think your quote shows a profound misunderstanding of what the cadet organization is meant to accomplish.

It is first and foremost an organization to empower youth. It inculcates the core values that form the heart of a civilized society; honesty, courage, team work, personal responsibility, respect for others, and a desire to strive to be a better person.

As it happens I think flying is a uniquely powerful incubator for those attributes. I solo'd Cessna 150 at 16 and like for most young people it was a life altering experience.

A cadet gliding is that experience along with the fact that it takes a team to make it happen. Everyone on that team has responsibilities that have no shyte real safety consequences. Being part of that is a priceless and increasingly rare experience for today's youth.

The hubris in saying that flying a low performance glider is not a worthy activity and that by extension real pilots fly glass superships is one reason why soaring is not attracting many new young members.

The Canadian Air Cadet program gives over 300 young people the basic GPL license every year flying SW 2-33's. It is glider training not soaring training but more than meets the bigger aims of the organizations and introduces many young people to a sport that they might want to continue.