PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot Life
Thread: Pilot Life
View Single Post
Old 29th Aug 2003, 02:08
scroggs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
theHoop you've chosen a bad time to be considering aviation! The industry is just beginning to creep out from under the worst recession it has suffered since WW2. There have been many jobs and airlines gone down the tubes in the last couple of years, and many of those that are left are struggling. Hence the world-weary cynicism you read in this thread - and others.

However, it won't always be like that. Things are beginning to look up, and I believe that profits, expansion and jobs are not far off in many parts of the world. It's too early in the cycle to expect airline sponsorships - you're going to have to be prepared to pay for your own training, and it won't be cheap.

It helps if, like Notso and many others here, you're an out-and-out enthusiast, but it's not a prerequisite. I, like you, only decided to investigate aviation as a career once I was 21. I'm still here, 26 years and 11000 hours later! I did it via the RAF, and joined the airlines later in life. I've had a great time, though I'll never be rich, and I have no intention of packing it in until I have to.

Beware, though. The airline industry is as vicious and cut-throat as any in commerce. These are big companies and, just as in any other multi-national field, people are not thier most important asset, whatever the companies may profess. As was said earlier, you are an employee; a resource - nothing more. You'll get the same lack of respect from the system that you'll hear about from your peers in IT, medicine, engineering, banking, law, or whatever.

But we have the best view!