PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What...?
Thread: What...?
View Single Post
Old 14th May 2017, 09:36
Jack330

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I totally agree with Old King's post, I have a similar experience, after MD11 and B777 I had the pleasure to go back to that amazing machine that is the 737 where I called myself a 'pilot' again because to be honest, when you work on those carriers where you engage the autopilot at 200 ft then you disconnect at whatever altitude close to the ground, you are more a machine operator than a pilot... You can fool the flower shop next to your home but reality is different. I see people flattered when they say they fly big airplanes or the polar route and I say, seriously ? I agree totally that 2000 hours are not a big baggage of experience but imho I can say that the old times are gone, airplanes are much more reliable, pilot school have airplanes with full glass cockpit plus LNAV\VNAV so they are perfect for this new generation of pilots, forget about the skills we learned flying real airplanes but this is the future unfortunately.
For those who feel like Charles Elwood Yeager because they fly big airplanes, remember that, for pilots coming from conventional airplanes, flying in really demanding enviroment, with really short runways in the middle of the mountains, transitioning to a B777 or Airbus 380 will be a piece of cake, especially for the enviroment they operate in, assuming that they are good pilots of course, I've seen pilots with thousand of "hours" failing checks at Emirates as well so it all depend on who we are not on what we fly.
I transitioned myself from the 737 to the MD11 at the time and it was the easiest step I've ever done.
We were very lucky to receive that tough training from our tough instructors.
I agree on one thing, the attitude of those new pilots that want everything immediately, that is not good, they think they deserve what they want, no matter what.