PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Brave new world - Oil and Gas
View Single Post
Old 14th May 2017, 07:21
Twist & Shout

Received 19 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Mel Effluent
Perhaps you are not aware that an AOC holder is required by the regulator to have the following in place:
  • Sufficient suitably experienced personnel
  • Airworthy aircraft, suitable for the type of operations
  • Acceptable systems for the training of crew and the operation of the aircraft
  • A quality system to ensure that all applicable regulations are followed
  • Accountable key staff, responsible for specific safety critical functions such as operations, maintenance and training
  • Suitable insurance.
  • Proof of sufficient finances to fund the operation
  • Sufficient ground infrastructure to support its operations.

The absence of any of these would typically result in suspension or revocation of an AOC.

I am not sure that I would want to fly in your "brave new world" operation (or are you just trolling?).
I'm not deliberately trolling, but I admit sometimes it's hard to tell.

Nothing in that list has changed since the "old world".
All those things were covered by highly qualified and experienced stakeholders.

We seem to be currently living in a climate where every cent that can be saved, needs to be. The "rumors"* running around Australia are that some of the more (recently) successful companies have saved money by reducing and/or out sourcing some of the err, "non core" departments.

What disadvantage would a company with no, or minimal dedicated HR personal have? Certainly there is the potential to save serious money.

I'm not sure why a Chief pilot (MOFO) or Chief Engineer needs a safety department to tell him to do his job.
A pilots life and job are about safety. The fuel we load, the weather we study, the altitudes we fly at, the emergency procedures we study. We have a lot of skin in the game. Some "puke" deciding I need to wear a hard hat to check in the baggage compartment does ZERO for anybody's safety. All it does is justify the high salaries paid to the "Safety Department". And cost the company productivity and money.

Quality Assurance was once seriously explained to me as "a system that can ensure, for example, that a 300mm ruler, is 300mm long". If you think about it, it's a never ending, self feeding monster. We might need another system, to check the system for ensuring the length of the ruler is 300mm long.
Quality Assurance costs massive time and money, to not fix a problem, that doesn't exist.

*We all know many rumors have no basis in fact.

I'm kinda asking the Question: "Has anyone seen a downturn in these "Mill Stone Parasites" either in their company or when they have moved to another?