PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The imminent death of US aviation
View Single Post
Old 14th May 2017, 04:43
A Squared

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by havick
In reality the 1500 hour rule is keeping junior pilots in entry level jobs longer than previous.
True, and in the 1980's, when you needed 2000-3000 hours to get on with a commuter, pilots were in entry level jobs even longer, yet there were plenty of people getting their ratings. The flow of brand new pilots has slowed up, but it isn't because of the 1500 rule, that slow down started before the 1500 rule.

I suspect that if we were able to identify the reason for that, we'd find that the reason is that being a pilot has become a less desirable career. There's various factors why it's become a less desirable career, but that's the general perception. Sometime in the last few years, Barry Schiff said he would no longer recommend a career in aviation to young people. Coming from a guy who spent his life completely infatuated with aviation, including a long career at TWA (retired before it folded) that's a powerful commentary.

Anyway, my point is that there has been in my lifetime, much stronger barriers to an airline job, yet lots of people were stepping up to the challenge. If that's changed, it's not because of a requirement for 1500 hours. That's just not that big a barrier, compared to other decades.

Last edited by A Squared; 14th May 2017 at 06:01.