PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas A320Neo
Thread: Qantas A320Neo
View Single Post
Old 14th May 2017, 00:57
WookieError

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What a surprise to see Tuck Mach talking down the company and the Association! For someone who has supposedly 'moved on' he seems to spend a lot of time venting on this website!

For what it's worth, the investor presentation covered the 'Group', not just Mainline so the NEO reference was probably in relation to JQ airframes.

Having said that, I believe the NEO (specifically the 321) would be an excellent option for mainline either as a SH replacement or as a smallish fleet (e.g. 12 frames) to complement the existing fleet:

- Single narrow body type across the group (if used as SH replacement). Advantages in maintenance, handling, training and simulation.
- ULD loading improving turn times and reducing bag chucker injuries.
- Firm orders already in place. No issues with shareholder pushback.
- Possible solution to square the ledger on the 8 380s that are deferred.
- Ability to up/down gauge dependent on the mission (320/321). This would even extend to 318/319 to cover what is currently contracted to 717 via Cobham.
- 321 NEO LR (available early 2019) has range of 4000Nm in 2 class config with 208 pax. Ideal for regional international routes too skinny for 330.
- Use of the 321 in two-class for transcontinental routes would free up 330 to do more international. If anyone doubts the 321 would satisfy J pax coast to coast, take a look at what JetBlue is achieving with their 'Mint Class' product and look at the margins being achieved by JetBlue in recent years.
- BNE Heavy maintenance has sufficient licensed staff to support a line of 320/1 work. This may be to bid for JQ deep maintenance but paves the way for NEOs into mainline.
- Those who talk about the huge training liability form 737 to NEO are assuming rank to rank training. The training liability is much reduced if type training is only coincident with promotional training. i.e. SO 330/380 gets trained to FO 320, FO any type does command training on the NEO.

Just my thoughts and happy to be corrected on any of the above. I'm sure the decision on the 777/350 will influence the decision on the MAX/NEO (not necessarily to the same OEM) but the future of the JQ/QF fleet could well be simplified to 320/1 NEO + 787 + 777.

Cheers

Wookie