PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - iPad novice, file transfer from Windows PC
Old 13th May 2017, 08:27
FlightlessParrot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PEI_3721
An immediate thought / question. Could a 1Tb backup drive containing all PC files in their original formats (uncompressed / no back up massaging) be plugged in to a router, e.g. dreaded BT Hub 5, via USB?
Would an App be required for access, or would the iPad be able to see the files directly, like from the web?
I am tempted to 'try this at home', but will wait for further advice.
I have had three wifi routers that have promised this capability, and on only one of them has it worked, and then not perfectly. I am not anything like clued up on networking, but I've had 30+ years of following instructions without comprehension but with reasonable success, so I suspect that this capability is maybe not as straightforward as they suggest.

However, a 1 TB USB drive doesn't cost a great deal these days, and I'll feel a lot happier when I know all your files are backed up.

OT anecdote: one day I turned on the radio to hear the rich chocolatey voice of a distinguished colleague (the description was in the back announcement by the interviewer, who was obviously having difficulty keeping her hands off him). He was lamenting the theft of his laptop, which contained three years work on his latest book. "Bummer," I thought, " but why go on national radio? All he has to do is copy the back up onto a replacement machine... Oh, no, not even he could be that stupid, surely." But he was. The thief returned the machine, which shows there is a special providence for the truly self-absorbed, but the rest of us don't get that lucky.

Do make a back up, before you do anything else. Please.