PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Unintended 457 consequences could ground airlines
Old 12th May 2017, 23:49
Band a Lot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Also for thought new changes to the budget effect many visa holders including 457's. These changes also directly effect Australian Citizens.

The changes are to tertiary education, Permanent Residents are not treated like Citizens anymore. As an example a science uni course was $9,050 per year ($27,150) to $35,824 per year ($107,472).

Once a Permanent Residence visa is granted it is a 4 year wait to apply for Citizenship (I am not sure of current waiting times to process citizenship application but it is not fast).

So any current and any future 457 visa holders will need to take their childrens/partners education requirements into account as to come to Australia or leave. This can reduce our employment pool when we do need skilled workers.

As my wife is not from Australia and has two teenage children, they are currently on stage 1 of Partner Visa and that is a Temporary Visa. So their 4 year wait can not even start yet. They will have been in Australia 7 and a half years when they can apply for Citizenship.

My wife wants to go to uni now, both kids intend to go to uni after year 12. So in 2 years we will be looking at $100,000 + in education fees for at least 1 year & $75K for a few others. There are plans to move to 4 year degrees soon.

For us the smart move would be to move to Europe till the youngest finishes uni, free of charge and possibly return to Australia in 6 years time.

I wonder how many 457 holders are thinking the same?

There are several million people living and working in Australia as Permanent Residents for a variety of reasons they are not citizens.