PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ICON Deaths
Thread: ICON Deaths
View Single Post
Old 12th May 2017, 21:30
Ebbie 2003

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ICON is a US company that makes an airplane called the A5.

It is light sport (but got exemptions to up the weight limit massively on the grounds that the airplane cannot be stalled and also cannot be spun).

It is an amphibian - so water and land.

It has been in just about every aviation publication for the past decade, also just about every newspaper at some point.

They push the idea of 'only 25 hours' to learn to fly it and, the, thing I have always found worrying, have what I can only describe as "sexy" marketing videos that will show one (or sometimes two ICON's) engaging in what look like very fancy low level pseudo aerobatics at about 200/300ft and lower. A look and feel similar to what a marketing man would done for sports car adverts thirty years ago.

The ICON is a very slick product - but had hot problems - the customers' deliveries (I believe none to date) are years past the promise - they hit headlines a year or so ago with a rather onerous sales contract - basically the owner didn't get to own the airplane in the way one may have expected - ICON got to say what happened to it.

This accident (about four days ago) happened immediately after the airplane was seen doing the sort of low level daredevil manoeuvres shown in their adverting/promotional videos - I understand it clipped the shore line (goes to show how low it was and then pitched down and broke into three pieces.

Just thinking that it has probably finished foo the company - I understand that the 1,500 orders they once had are now just a couple of dozen and that was before this incident.

A couple of weeks back there was another right off accident in an ICON (not deaths of serious injuries) - both airplanes were flown by pilot very experienced pilots generally and in the ICON specifically.