PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SOUTHEND 5
Thread: SOUTHEND 5
View Single Post
Old 12th May 2017, 18:37
asdf1234

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AirportPlanner1
southside, I didn't say anything about the past or indeed not learning from it. There has been movement around the M25 and smaller markets have been squeezed, that cannot be debated. For example at STN more and more you are seeing peak arrivals from key business centres and cities, e.g. Frankfurt, two Milan airports, Madrid, Berlin. Meanwhile the likes of Derry and Dole have dropped away, assets going where there is more money to be made. Yes it might be the case that SEN picks up the scraps, but over time those scraps will go from being small Dutch cities and runways in the deepest French countryside to reasonably notable cities.
The airport is running at a loss. As I pointed out in previous posts, operational expenditure is being met by selling assets. Stobart Group cannot sustain indefinitely an opex drain of the kind that the airport currently demands. When people talk about improvements "over time" this just isn't feasible. By my estimation the whole group has 3 years to deliver a profitable airport before the cash runs dry. Long term organic growth just won't help.