PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Float Plane bush pilot course, recommended operators
Old 12th May 2017, 05:23
Kral

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Cloud Surfer,

It'll depend on what you wanna do in Canada. Firstly, don't fill in the Transport Canada form "recognition of overseas flight crew" it just allows you to fly Canadian reg'd planes solo.

If you wanna just do the float training, fill in the "application for private pilot's license" and there's a box there for "credits available - foreign" You'll have to do a one page exam by a flight training school that'll take you an hour to study for and you'll be fine. That will take some time, TC ain't lightning quick. Get a medical first.

Then with a PPL TC can issue a float rating to you.

If you wanna fly as a job in Canada, you'll have to pass the Canadian CPL theory and flight test, theory is one exam, not like the Australian half dozen, there are obvious differences in air law, and the Canadians know more about MET (they have real weather, unlike Aus!) so that'll take a bit of study. Flight test is a flight test, but they'll probably want spin recovery in the test. You need a medical before you can sit either the theory or the flight test.

I'd wager it'd be quicker to do the test in fixed undercarriage than on floats because you're already good at that. ProIFR in Delta have good quality theory courses that'll help you bridge quick.

Then go do floats.

DO THIS IN SUMMER! Lower Mainland winter is a no go for VFR flying! Seriously, I had no idea until I was there. Go over in May done by September. November to February it rains. Like all of November, December, January and February, you might have a week of day VFR weather all up in 4 months.

Hope that helps