PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Clouds
Thread: Clouds
View Single Post
Old 11th May 2017, 19:05
9 lives

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
we went through the edge of a storm (fault with the weather radar range function)
Speak firmly at the weather radar, and tell it who's in charge! Then fly around the weather .

I was the junior co pilot to a very experienced (ex RAF Red Arrows) pilot, as we ferried a Twin Otter the length of Africa in 1985. We had no weather radar, nor flight into icing equipment, so although filed IFR, we were really VFR in terms of equipment. Maps were not great, so we were filed on airways, but having to sometimes fly lower than the minimum altitudes, as the Twin Otter could not practically reach them. As we flew toward a rather large cloud, at somewhere around 7000 feet (I don't remember exactly), my Spidy senses tingled. I suggested that we fly around that cloud. After some persuasion, and a little muttering about inexperienced pilot, he went around. As we got around the upwind side, I saw that the cloud was full of rocks, it was one of the first of the mountains in northern Kenya. Lesson learned indelibly!

Unless you're fully equipped for flight in cloud, and doing it exactly as it should be done - don't!

I'm still alive to share these life threatening stories, so I do. Sadly, my mentor, who taught me (or allowed me to learn) so much, was one of two pilots in a fatal accident of a Dash 7, so my lessons from him ended with the report of that flight...