PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Optimum V1
Thread: Optimum V1
View Single Post
Old 11th May 2017, 09:35
Jwscud

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Of course it goes the other way if you are approaching the TOPL.

My employer routinely uses improved climb speeds, which tend to be ~10kts faster than the FMC speeds. This apparently makes money as it allows for a slightly increased MTOW and thus greater payload when not obstacle limited.

However, in all the other company and industry literature, the danger of a close to V1 stop and possibility of an erroneous stop decision is emphasised. The company to make minuscule amounts of money now routinely expose all their heavies to an extra 5-10s on the ground with a greatly reduced stop margin because they say statistically the chances of encountering a stop-go decision is greatly reduced.

I'm just a line grunt, but there is a long history of statistically unlikely events happening to crews, and I would far rather a bit more fat if I'm doing an RTO close to limits than coming to a halt right at the end of the available tarmac at Vmbe with 350 punters down the back.

The company will respond and say "its legal..." but I personally would prefer they only use improved climb performance where it's actually operationally required rather than seeing us on the ground at 170kts and seeing how uncomfortably little runway is reminding as the V1 call is made on every long sector.