PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Unintended 457 consequences could ground airlines
Old 11th May 2017, 02:53
Band a Lot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Call me sceptic but 2 things our government don't have a good record for spending our money wisely or economically but more politically. They also like the fuel excise introduced to make and maintain roads tend to shift funds into general revenue soon down the track when it suits.

I also compared to other fees DIBP think that these fees are very low. The new Visitor Visa for migrants parents (no work rights or medical) is extendable (offshore) up to 10 years at a cost of $20,000. I believe that in any 18 month period they can not have been in Australia over 12 months.

I also agree around the low skills reserved for Australians it also gives our kids a chance to get some work.

But in general I don't think there needs to be a skills list as such, and even though many of you pilots wont agree there are positions that would be filled by regular flying ability but other assets to bring.

2 spring to mind fast,

A Pilot with a LAME ticket working remote with no AMO nearby.
A multi (more than 2) lingual pilot working in the scenic flight field.

* but these would need to be assessed on merit does the LAME have experience on the aircraft being flown GA8 for example, and does the pilot speak the languages of a high % of passengers that use the company service/s?

If the answer is yes and no other applicants in Australia qualify or want the job, there should be no issue in my opinion. (I believe that an employer should be able to refuse an Australian with valid reason backed with proof.)